The Huffington Post was running an article in which they noted that the textbook price hike since 1978 by far outperforms the increase in consumer prices: Whereas the former stands at 812 percent, the consumer price index increased about 250 percent in the same period. New home prices are up 325 percent. Here’s another article with the same numbers. In short, something is majorly wrong with the academic publishing system.
- Concentration in the publishing business
- Zombie Lingua, Elsevier and what profit-oriented publishers are good for
- Beyond the zombies: How we might get out of the science publication disaster
- What should I do with my draft paper? Hide it, upload to Academia, or upload to Zenodo?
- We don’t need open access, but scholar-owned publication brands